Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2010

Dream America Dream...

As I was driving to work way too early this morning, the Green Day song 21st Century Breakdown was on the radio and the lyrics caught my attention, "Oh, Dream America Dream, I can't even sleep from brainstorms till dawn."

Everyone has their own brainstorms that keeps them awake at night or wakes them up way too early in the morning. In my case, my own idea of the American Dream woke me up this morning. People are counting on me to get their work done so that they can pursue their American Dream.

As such, I'm at work before 5 am on a day that most of the Country will be on vacation. Fortunately for me, my wife supports me and told me "good luck" as I went out the door this morning. Knowing that it will probably be her "brainstorms" that wake her up before dawn next time around certainly adds understanding and camaraderie to the situation.

Why? I often jokingly say that I work hard because my family cursed me with that #*!@ Midwestern work ethic. Expanding on that concept, I think I do it because I know that I can help people succeed and by helping them pursue their dreams I hope my family finds theirs too.

Too often people hide their American Dream as it seems unseemly to talk about. While it is romantic to talk conceptually about American hard work and success, those that are pursuing it too openly can be labeled. I am proud of my often awkward attempt to find it and hopefully you will be too.

Happy New Year and may you (openly) join me in stumbling (pun intended) our way to our American Dream.

______________________________
Welcome to Tilting Against! If you have not subscribed to receive posts via e-mail, you can do so by clicking on the following link: http://tiltingagainst.blogspot.com/2008_09_01_archive.htmlMake sure to watch for the confirmation e-mail.

No comments: